Charles N. Mikels was elected Master in 1894. He was born April 9, 1864, at Rominy, in Tippecanoe County, Indiana. He came to New Castle as a young man and practiced law, and being progressive in spirit, became interested in the commercial and material development of his adopted city, spending much time with Charles S. Hernly in assisting to locate the New Castle, Indianapolis, and Toledo electric lines for this city.
Charles Mikels was best known by this lodge for his achievements in the fields of Masonry. He was made a Master Mason July 2, 1887, at Pringhurst No. 558, in the State of Indiana, following which he demitted and was affiliated in 1888 with the New Castle Lodge, where in 1894 he was elected Master.
In 1902 he was made a member of the unfinished business committee of the Grand Lodge and at that time was appointed Grand Junior Deacon. He was elected Grand Junior Warden in 1905 after a masterful address on the floor of the Grand Lodge, by almost an unanimous vote and was advanced each year until 1908 when he was elected Worshipful Grand Master of the State of Indiana.
Brother Mikels was not only active in the Blue Lodge but in the other bodies and became Grand Illustrious Master of the Grand Council in 1903 and advanced steadily until October 20, 1908, when he was elected Most Illustrious Grand Master of this Order.
In the local body he was High Priest of the New Castle Chapter No. 50 in 1900, Illustrious Master of the Council No. 53 in 1903 and Eminent Commander of the Commandery No. 44 in 1901. Also distinguished as being the second Eminent Commander of the Commandery.
On his death in Indianapolis September 6, 1931, he was survived by his wife, Rosa M. Redding Mikels, formerly principal of New Castle High School, and also a daughter, Mrs. Paul E. Heineman, of Chicago. Charles Mikels was the Most Worshipful Grand Master of the State of Indiana when the New Castle Lodge No. 91 new temple was dedicated in 1908.